Everyone wants the content that they produce to somehow hit that illusive hallmark point when it explodes into the world-wide web universe, somehow finding its way into the Tweets, Likes, In boxes, Pluses, and blog back links of everyone remotely connected to their niche. In order to understand the secret of virility, I took it upon myself to conduct an interview with an actual virus. So without further adieu cover your faces, and I bring you the first ever exclusive interview with a real virus…
Me: What is your name?
Virus: I am in the process of metamorphosing, so I currently remain unidentified.
Virus: Thanks for asking Susie. The thing to remember about viruses is that there are a lot out there that simply never get to be widespread, and only a few really go epidemic, or what you would marketers would call “going viral.”
Me: I see.
Virus: But there is one thing that all of the truly successful viruses have in common.
Me: Really, what’s that?
Virus: Whether it’s because of a heightened sense of awareness or just dumb luck, all of rock star viruses attack a weak point at exactly the right time. That is exactly what I intend to do too.
Me: Whoa! Well, it looks like we are out of time, I think that I will go wash my hands now.
Here are some thoughts about viral content production in lieu of my death-defying interaction with a real virus.
- Be bold and try new things- Viruses that are just like all of the others have very little chance of being the one that stands out and becomes the next big threat, the same is true with your marketing efforts. If something has worked in marketing a thousand times before, it might work for you too, but it won’t go viral.
- Anticipate- when it looks like there is a weak spot that no one in your niche is attacking go full speed ahead.
- Learn from other viral influences in your niche. Ponder how and when they went viral. Try to imagine how they saw your niche right before they became successful. Apply the same concepts in a way that is fitting for the niche as it looks today.
- Consider your audience- In order to impress your audience do you need to create fantastically expensive video footage, or are they looking for “just the facts” in written form. Give the audience exactly what they lack, and they will eat it up.
- Be awesome- in order to be a real alpha in your niche you will, at some point, need to mostly ignore numbers 1-4, and free yourself of the shackles of trying to please, in favor of taking the lead and charging forward with the rest of the pack following along.
As always the quality of presentation, whether in written form, video, or other, is a prerequisite to any chance at virility.