Before getting to the list of WordPress plugins to make your blog mobile friendly, take a look at these statistics to understand why this is so important. As of now, there are 239 million internet users in the US alone. Smartphone users now number 106.7 million and the total number of non-landline phone users have jumped to 242.6 million. This stat fest should be enough to hammer home the point that blogs not offering a phone version are making a fatal mistake. So how does it work? Just use the plug-ins listed below.
- WP Mobile Pack: This is a full toolkit to “mobilize” WP-based blogs and sites. The main feature is a switcher that allows site visitors to select between desktop and phone themes. It remembers the choice and will stick to it for repeat visitors, but still allows them to change if they want to.
It can present distinct themes based on the type of device being used so that the theme shown matches phone models and sizes. From the publisher’s angle, it offers a WP-Admin panel for editing and creating posts using phones. It also manages ad widgets and analytics to track phone users separately.
- WP Mobile Detector: A powerful and visually appealing plug-in, it has 9 themes and comes with a theme editor. It detects over 5000 devices and will even re-size images to match the device. It comes with multi-lingual support and can touch-optimize the site.
- Mobile Press: A simple and easy to use plug-in, this one provides two themes and the ability to customize them. The positive aspect is that phone views can be tested without domain mapping. It is smart enough to detect mobile search bots and divert them to the phone version, so that the phone site is search optimized.
- Mobilize: This is among the top free WP plug-ins for creating phone-friendly blogs and websites without actually having to do it. Site owners simply customize the settings on Mippin’s web-based platform. Once the plug-in is installed on the blog, any phone user automatically gets redirected to the web platform and is shown the phone version.
- WP Touch Pro: The pro version of WP Touch is currently one of the top WordPress plugins to make your blog mobile friendly. It offers a ready-made framework for creating custom phone and tablet themes. Everything from colors and logos to images and fonts can be easily modified with no coding required. It can even hide or show specific features in a theme. Combine all this with the ability to detect devices, and it is the ideal plug-in for creating distinct themes for all the major phone types used to access blogs and websites.