No entrepreneur needs to be told about the importance of marketing. But perhaps a few need some reminders of the priorities they should try to maintain with their marketing efforts. Here are 10 essential marketing tips completely usable in this new day and age.
- Concentrate upon the message rather than the technology. Good looking websites with all the bells and whistles are no use if they do not clearly communicate to the consumer. The focus should always be on the message, not the vehicle that delivers the message.
- Rely upon marketing specialists rather than those that are able to use the technology available. There are too many operators that can create fancy effects and that can manipulate sophisticated software but who know next to nothing about marketing.
- Consumers are fickle and it is best to use a variety of media to reach them. The more platforms that are used to reach potential consumers, the better, but at the same time the message should be the same.
- Never underestimate the power of the Internet to influence consumer behavior. Success on this vast platform depends to a large degree on an efficient search engine optimization strategy and it may be well worth it to hire the services of the top people in this field.
- It simply does not make sense to try and save money by cutting the marketing budget. In fact, this budget should be the first to be increased in tough times. Difficult economic circumstances demand bravery and increased marketing is the first line of attack.
- It is vital to keep a pulse on consumer trends and to set the bandwagon in motion rather than trying to jump on it at a later stage. Truly successful entrepreneurs act on new trends before they actually become trends, and this is only possible through continuous consumer analysis.
- Customer service excellence remains the best marketing method. Satisfied consumers will become loyal clients of long-standing and they will be more valuable than any amount of advertising.
- It is important to monitor customer feedback and to keep lines of communication open. Consumers are more sophisticated and they will not stand for lies and vague promises. Businesses that admit mistakes and that act upon them will gain long-term loyalty.
- It is often sensible to allow marketing personnel to have some say in matters such as pricing, packaging, advertising methods and distribution channels. They often know more about the needs and wants of the consumers and they can provide extremely valuable input in all spheres of the business.
- Quality remains king. Marketing can only be successful if the product or service on offer truly delivers on the promises made. A strong focus on quality always ensures eventual success.
These 10 essential marketing tips are not necessarily revolutionary, but it is often helpful to return to the basics and to make sure that all the fundamental aspects of a marketing campaign have been implemented.